Iran, which has received multiple warnings from the Trump administration regarding their nuclear-capable ballistic missile arsenals, conducted their first successful test of a submarine-based missile platform in February of this year. This week’s test may have been their first effort at launching that missile design from a submerged vessel, however.
According to RT, in March, Iran’s defense minister, Hossein Dehqan, advised the US military to leave the Persian Gulf and stop causing trouble there.
“What are Americans doing in the Persian Gulf? They had better get out of this region and not cause trouble for the countries in the region,” Dehqan said in a statement carried by Iranian state media.
Dehqan’s was responding to remarks made earlier in March by United States Central Command chief Gen. Joseph Votel, who accused Iran of being a destabilizing influence in the region.
— Fox News (@FoxNews) May 3, 2017
“We are also dealing with a range of malign activities perpetrated by Iran and its proxies operating in the region,” Votel said at a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee in describing Tehran’s alleged influence over Iraq and Syria.
“It is my view that Iran poses the greatest long-term threat to stability for this part of the world,” he said.
The statements made by military officials on both sides reflect the growing tensions between Iran and the United States.