At least one person became ill after eating flour contaminated with the bacteria, while another 24 fell ill after contracting an E. coli strain whose genetic indicators are consistent with the bacteria found in the flour. All indications are that these 25 patients became ill by eating contaminated flour, the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) said.
The National flour recall last week focused on the western provinces of the country, where 20 victims of the bacteria were identified, as well as Newfoundland and Labrador.
Only the Robin Hood all purpose flour sold in 10 kg format is subject to the recall. It was sold in bags with code BB / MA 2018 AL 17 and 6 291 548
Contamination occurred between November 2016 and February 2017.
Anyone in possession of the product is encouraged to dispose of it or take it back to the store. If you have to handle the flour, make sure you thoroughly clean the hands and surfaces that came in contact with it, advised the PHAC.
The Agency also recalled that it is important at all times not to consume raw meal in order to reduce the risk of contamination.