Box office figures for Marvel Studios’ “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2,” have gone into orbit, bringing in an estimated $145 million this weekend. That makes the sequel to the 2014 hit Marvel’s 15th straight No. 1 opening at the domestic box office, CNN reported.
The space adventure movie, starring Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana, also has done well worldwide, too. Since premiering overseas more than a week ago, the movie has pulled in about $428 million, CNN reported.
“Vol. 2” is Marvel Studios’ fifth-biggest opening. The original film, which is not based on Marvel heroes, grossed $773 million worldwide, CNN reported
Critics have been favorable toward “Vol. 2,” as the film was rated at 82 percent by review site Rotten Tomatoes.
Weekend Box Office (May 5th – May 7th)
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2…$145 Million
- The Fate of the Furious…$8.5 Million
- The Boss Baby…$6.2 Million
- How to Be a Latin Lover…$5.3 Million
- Beauty and the Beast…$4.9 Million
- The Circle…$4.0 Million
- Baahubali 2: The Conclusion…$3.2 Million
- Gifted…$2.1 Million
- Going in Style…$1.9 Million
- Smurfs: The Lost Village…$1.8 Million