MUSIC – The promise was beautiful. The Fyre festival was to open this Friday, April 28 in Exumas in the Bahamas archipelago . The price of the ticket, between 450 and 12,000 dollars (410-11,000 €), was the guarantee of a unique experience where the festival-goers could enjoy a corner of paradise with comfort of luxury and the best of music.
Proof that this event was highly anticipated, the organizers of the festival created by the famous rapper and American producer Ja Rule had relied on influencers of first choice to spread their communication.
In recent weeks, models Bella Hadid, Hailey Baldwin, Emily Ratajkowski, Alessandra Ambrosio have played the role of ambassador on social networks. A video (just suppressed) published by Kendall Jenner last January had been seen more than 7.5 million times.
Objective of this first edition: to tackle the inescapable Coachella by proposing a “lineup” to make blush the biggest festivals of the planet. GOOD Music, Kanye West label , Major Lazer, Blink 182, Disclosure and Rae Sremmurd.
And here is the drama…
Except that this event turned out to be a real disaster. The day before the beginning of the festival, the participants discovered that the little corner of paradise was far from what had been promised to them.
Blink-182 tweeted Thursday it would be pulling out of the event.
“We’re not confident that we would have what we need to give you the quality of performances we always give our fans,” the band said in a statement.
— Tr3vor (@trev4president) April 28, 2017
— Matt Halfhill (@MattHalfhill) April 28, 2017
On Twitter, Internet users shared their misadventures in images and revealed the “lies” of the organizers. They showed for example the island presented as a private place having belonged to Pablo Escobar was not one. A woman who paid 10,000 dollars (9167 €) for a VIP ticket said she was robbed of her belongings only a few minutes after her arrival.
— FyreFestivalFraud (@FyreFraud) April 20, 2017
The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism said Friday it was “extremely disappointed” by the opening days of the festival, and offered “a heartfelt apology to all who travelled to our country for this event.”
“From our point of view, it’s been pretty catastrophic. And we are really disappointed in the way the events unfolded yesterday,” Joy Jibrilu, the ministry’s director general, told CBC News.
‘NOT A SCAM’ says Ja Rule
Ja Rule weighed in on the situation Friday afternoon, posting on Twitter that he was “heartbroken” by reports from the festival.
“We are working right now on getting everyone off the island SAFE that is my immediate concern,” Rule, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, tweeted.
“I truly apologize as this is NOT MY FAULT, but I’m taking responsibility,” he continued.